Friday 4 October 2013

Free Mulch


Now this is the best idea I think I’ve ever had… So we had the spud crop etc in one section of the garden now the broccoli is nearly done, and I was a bit slack once the spuds were harvested, I should have planted some rye grass straight away for “green manure crop” but I didn’t now I’ve got soil that looks lifeless, it needs organic matter digging into it.

So I’ve been thinking what’s around here that I can cut up/ cut down for mulch to dig in, don’t really have anything at the moment, and I don’t want to buy any; then while looking at the lawn, I thought PERFECT… I always cut our lawn quite high in parts (nice and soft to walk on) no grass seed present etc. I thought I’ll just get the push mower and take the grass down low and put the clippings in the garden – note the grass is basically dead at the moment cos of no rain in long time so this isn’t like putting extremely green clippings in the soil causing heat.

So I scattered the clippings over the top of soil; left for few days to really dry out; then dug in, beautiful!

Best part is I didn’t go somewhere and fork out cash.. done deal!




No comments:

Post a Comment