Thursday 11 October 2012

Time the Watering

Spring sprung and then went in what seemed like a couple of days, so we are straight into the heat and it is a battle to keep the garden moist.

So what I've done is set-up the ol' tap timer so that the sprinkler comes on automatically. Initially it is programmed to come on every 24 hrs for 15 mins which may not seem like a long time but with reasonable humididty around here it does the trick.

Tap timer with dials - best way to go

Shade structures made with some leftover fencing wire
and cheap shade cloth from hardware store
I also dragged out my little shade houses that I use for covering up lettuce and other fine leaf seedlings in the heat.

Fair dinkum I can't believe I've busted out all my summer tricks in just the past week - but better that than coming home from work to find your crop is burnt to a snider!

Also, if you do go and invest in a tap timer do yourself a favour and don't get a digital one - stick to the basic dial/knobs variety - I've had both and the latter has seen the test of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment