Thursday 25 October 2012

Tomatoes Anyone?

When I see great crop of tomatoes coming out of the garden I start to get a Italian accent!
The tomato crop from last tomato season (start of year) has self seeded - which tends to be the best/most successful crop.

Bellissimo!

Nature doesn't tend to get this stuff wrong - cos the way I see it, nature has decided that it was time for the seeds to germinate when all things aligned and now we’re reaping the rewards! Jules tells me tomatoes are bloody expensive at the moment so I'm feeling pretty good about this crop that came up with little effort!

We have also got a few basil plants coming up - about an inch high - but nowhere near the quantity that I want. So I have planted heaps more seed and put some seedlings under shade covers, just need to almighty rain to kick start them off – again nature will have the final say!

Temperature lately has been weird - up to 36°c now it’s back down to 25°c and no real rain since July so we have had to do heaps of watering. Good thing we have dam water to see us through.

Mmmm now I'm thinking... pesto, tomato and basil bruschetta... do yourself a favour and go and plant some today and you’ll be eating it all over Christmas!

Oliver wash chuffed with his picking ability

No comments:

Post a Comment