Sunday 13 May 2012

Planting Broccoli Seed

It's starting to cool off a bit more everyday now so I reckon time for some more broccoli. I planted the last lot a bit early and the caterpillars punished me for it - but they don't like the cold weather so much. Because I have a bit of room in the top plot, I am going to plant the seeds direct into the ground. To try and guarantee myself of a good planting I might sow some seeds into a tray as well that way if I lose some I can replace with some from the tray... well thats the plan!

broc - direct sow
So once the days get like now – around sub 10 degree mornings and mid 20 days broccoli, coriander and parsley love it!
Prepare the ground so that where the seed will lay has good texture - fairly loose and crumby. Pretty simple science, the small sprout needs to push its way out so don’t make it too hard work for them.

When you lay the seed in the furrow that you make grab a handful of dirt from outside the furrow break it up as you cover up the seeds with same handful. Rule of thumb....most seeds like to planted 3 times as deep as the seeds diameter so for stuff like broccoli and carrot this isn’t very deep.

I figure that a light dusting of soil, then when you water it in she’s covered up enough. When was the last time you drove past a farmers paddock and seen him out with a ruler getting all serious with how much dirt was over the seed .... arrrgh can’t say I’ve ever seen that (not that I hang around any farms either I suppose – although I do watch landline on telly, that counts doesn't it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment