Wednesday 23 May 2012

Planting Beans


Yep, today was another day where I think what can I plant and what’s going on in the garden? The last lot of beans that I planted in top paddock are about 2 inches high, so time to plant more.

The crop just before that is just starting to flower. Beans are funny, they’re easy to grow but sometimes they die easy as well. They can die so fast that even with a daily inspection you don’t see it coming and it makes me wild! So I plant for succession and in case of failure! Even with this approach you’re still ahead, you’ll be eating fresh and cheap veges at your convenience. Water the beans once and no more water until after they sprout. Another golden rule - large seeds only need water at planting; they draw enough moisture from surrounding soil.

Most of the time I try to remember to cast a bit of agricultural lime over the ground prior to planting even though my soil is pretty neutral, it’s some “old timer” theory, anyway it works and is cheap as chips as well. Today I planted some climbing snow peas in a different spot with some stakes to climb, see how they go as the soil tends to be generally dry in this spot.
stakes for climbing snow peas
(newly scattered ag lime in vacant row behind ready to plant)

No comments:

Post a Comment