Monday 7 May 2012

Ol' Rusty Possum

Having thought about embarking on sharing our gardening stories for months, today was the day I sought out blogging ‘101’ help from ol’mate Bruce.

Today in the garden I ….

After cutting down the lawn a little lower yesterday, I made use of the clippings that I threw into a pile in the top paddock (aka 5m x 10m patch of re-claimed yard). I like to refer to it as the top paddock, makes me feel big time!

So this morning between cups of coffee, I turned over a few metres of dirt and sprinkled a fine layer of clippings over the top so they would dry out in the daytime sun. In the coming days I will add a layer of lime and chook poo (from our girls of course) to boost the soil in preparation for a crop. As we are heading into Winter, most likely the crop will be broccoli or a root vege.

Key points I always think about: Most crops will take 3 months from seed to stove. 2nd key point, soil temperature – if soil temp isn’t optimum, you will never strike your seeds. 3rdly, my old Yates Garden Guide is a handy companion for seed germination temps. No, I don’t get out with the thermometer, but if I feel the soil, is it cold to touch?
More little lettuce -
Welcome to the world!
Freshly ploughed row in 'top paddock'



Lettuce just showing their heads
(planted 6 days ago) GREAT!


The lettuce and roses both had a little inspection today checking for critters that shouldn’t be there. This is almost done daily anyhow between us. If I do nothing else, this little inspection is a great way of keeping things in check.

Oh tomorrow I will talk about planting coriander and parsley the time and temperature is perrrrfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment